As responsible citizens we enthusiastically endorse the safety and environmental advantages that passenger train travel offers. Following are several considerations that truly make passenger rail travel so important to us all.
- Contributes greatly to improved air quality and reduced greenhouse emissions via modal shift from cars.
- Automobile travel claims 70 times more lives annually than passenger rail.
- Passenger rail travel produces 71% fewer carbon dioxide emissions per passenger mile than automobile travel.
- Shipping by rail is 4 times more fuel efficient than shipping by truck.
- Passenger trains consume 28% less fuel per passenger mile than cars.