Since 1999, we have led the effort to establish passenger rail service through West Central Wisconsin. We have been at the forefront of nearly every milestone to bring passenger rail to our region.
The West Central Wisconsin Rail Coalition provides leadership and coordination to develop passenger rail service through west central Wisconsin as part of a regional strategy to ensure a balance transportation system necessary for long term sustainable economic growth.
What We've Achieved
- 2000 - WCWRC efforts result in additional state analysis of the economic impact of a West Central Wisconsin route on the Midwest Regional Rail System
- 2001 - Intercity Passenger Rail Corridors Feasibility Study concludes that a West Central Wisconsin route would contribute significant economic impact
- 2003 - Wisconsin Rail Issues & Opportunities Report states a West Central Wisconsin route would improve financial performance of proposed regional rail system
- 2005 - City of Eau Claire includes passenger rail in its Comprehensive Plan
- 2009 - City of Eau Claire includes passenger rail in its Sustainability Plan
- 2009 - City and County of Eau Claire pass resolutions in support of passenger rail
- 2009 - State Legislation authorize creation of an Eau Claire Metropolitan Planning Organization Regional Transit Authority
- 2009 - WisDOT to include a high-speed passenger rail through West Central Wisconsin in the State Transportation Plan, Connections 2030
A comprehensive business plan and additional resources can be found here